I have been doing a little digging lately to find sources for Manga sold elsewhere outside Japan if any of you are interested. The following data can be found via ICv2 and Publishers Weekly. This is quite the conundrum. I really am keen on obtaining data from NPD especially for sales of Manga, but they require a work email which I currently do not have. Also, I heard they are quite expensive, well I would like to get a quote and see if it is feasible. Hopefully, it would not cost me an arm and a leg.
Do take note that NPD BookScan only accounts to 85% of trade print books sold in the U.S. Therefore, the numbers may be higher than the ones stated below. I got the top 20 list from ICv2 as the above while the numbers (not all) from Publishers Weekly. If you have the time, do check their sites out!
Top 20 Manga Sold in the U.S. (Jan. 5 – Feb. 1)
1. MY HERO ACADEMIA VOL. 1 *9,507
2. THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS VOL. 6 *7,402
3. DEMON SLAYER: KIMETSU NO YAIBA VOL. 10 *7,387
4. MY HERO ACADEMIA VOL. 2 *5,974
5. MY HERO ACADEMIA VOL. 22 *4,765
6. MY HERO ACADEMIA VOL. 3 *4,555
7. PERSONA 5 VOL. 1 *3,949
8. UZUMAKI HC *N/A
9. THE PROMISED NEVERLAND VOL. 13 *N/A
10. MY HERO ACADEMIA VOL. 4 *N/A
11. SPLATOON VOL. 8 *N/A
12. MY HERO ACADEMIA VOL. 20 *N/A
13. DEMON SLAYER: KIMETSU NO YAIBA VOL. 1 *N/A
14. MY HERO ACADEMIA VOL. 5 *N/A
15. MY HERO ACADEMIA VOL. 19 *N/A
16. MY HERO ACADEMIA VOL. 21 *N/A
17. BEASTARS VOL. 4 *N/A
18. NO LONGER HUMAN HC *N/A
19. MY HERO ACADEMIA VOL. 18 *N/A
20. DR. STONE VOL. 9 *N/A
Information supplied by NPD BookScan. Copyright © 2017 The NPD Group. All rights reserved.
First of all, this is quite crazy. All the titles in the top 20, came from the same publisher, VIZ Media. I was expecting Kimetsu no Yaiba to sell more, but I did not realize that My Hero Academia is really popular in the States. Let me know your thoughts down in the comment section below!
Featured image from Viz.
Follow Erzat on WordPress.com